Saturday, February 7, 2015

Jupiter Ascending


I have a HUGE thing for high concept world building.

Defiance

Star Wars

Dominion

Stargate


So when I I heard about Jupiter Ascending, I knew I had to see it.

It gave me that lovely world-building intellectual lady boner

I loved it!

I was basically the only one.

The movie is visually stunning.  I mean.. look at that!


The plot is ambitious.  Very ambitious.  

I don't think it's as bad as some of the reviews say.  It's about greed, massive greed.  A greed so large that it destroys civilizations.

It also has Channing Tatum looking all fine skating around on anti-gravity shoes.  I wonder if they motion captured a hokey player for it.  And Sean Bean (spoiler alert:  he lives!)

The movie seemed rushed.  Like that way too much story to tell for the time allotted.  It would have worked MUCH better as an HBO mini-series.  With 10 or so hours to work with the intrigue of the royal family could have played out more effectively.  We could have seen more into the world that the Wachowskis’ so painstakingly set up.  With extra time the plot might have smoothed out.  Lost the clunkiness.

I wonder if they had a sequel in mind?  We'll never know.  I SERIOUSLY doubt that it'll happen.

But that being said, and the reviews aside:  I loved it!


No comments: