Thursday, November 6, 2014

Blustery, Rainy Day

The weather report called for a drop in temperature and rain today.

I was unprepared for the sound of the downpour that was happening outside of my window.

So I made tea.  And because I had no milk, I used half and half.  The kind from a small plastic cup.

Terrible!!

I think everyone was feeling the change of weather today.  The pets didn't want to get up from their nests of the sofa.  My tummy was unhappy this morning.  The Spousal Equivalent had a headache.  Basically it was just a crummy morning.  Instead of running, Misty and I walked around the block.

Now I'm at work, and realizing that it's not actually Friday.  (I've thought that it was Friday almost every day this week)  Tomorrow is Friday, but this weekend is a weird one for me.... since the big event is on Sunday.  I'm kind of waiting for Sunday to roll around.

Actually, on Sunday (or maybe Saturday this week), I'm going to prep meals for next week.  A big part of my prep will be some crock pot shredded chicken.  The recipe:

Ingredients:

  • chicken (I buy it in the big bags from the freezer)
  • onion
  • olive oil
  • minced garlic
  • spices (I use a Mrs. Dash blend)
  • 1 can of chicken broth
Method:
  • Thaw the chicken and put it in the crock out
  • chop a medium onion and set it to cooking in a skillet with some olive oil (I know!  I'm SO precise!)
  • After a few minutes, add some garlic and spices and cook for a minute or two longer.
  • Deglaze the pan with the chicken stock, then pour the contents of the pan into the crock put.
  • Slap the lid on a cook on low for 4-6 hours.
  • Have some wine while you wait.  (this is optional)
  • After the chicken is done, take it out and shred it... I like to put the chicken in the crock put after shredding... to soak up more flavor
The options are limitless!  I cna take some chicken, add some taco seasoning and beans and make tacos.  Take some more, add soy sauce and rice for an Asian dish.  Put it on a pizza.  Put it into soup!

While the original recipe that I got this from called for more Mexican flavors, I like to make a huge batch of a more neutral flavor so I can use the chicken in a variety of dishes!

I'll take pictures and report back next week!

No comments: