(There's a few moments of me in the video. Can you find me? I'm one of the dancers during the Bring Him Home solo... with a half gown ut perm. Not my finest hour.)
Yes, it's been a while....
SO, now I've seen the movie twice... and I have thoughts:
Disclaimer: I know this show WELL. Like... REALLY Well....
- In the realm of nit-picky: There were bits of songs missing. No bits from important songs... but bits of songs that I like (A Little Fall of Rain, Dog Eats Dog, Beggars at he Feast). I can understand the cuts.. but I would have LOVED to see what Sasha baron Cohen would have done on those numbers
- There were lines changed, which is to be expected. But man.... can we have things rhyme. It makes me twitch!
- EXTREME CLOSEUPS!!!!!! I admired teeth this time around. Any closer and we can examine nose-hair and pores.
- There were plot changes. No major ones... but I suspect that the changes come from gathering material from the book.
- Visually, this movie was AMAZING!!
- The finale was supposed feature Fantine and Eponine singing and leading Jean Valjean to heaven.... well... we only got Fantine. And I'm ok with that. The story comes down to 2 people that make a HUGE impact on Jean Valjean's life: Fantine and the Bishop. I'm ok with no Eponine.
- Javert pinning the medal on Gavroche? Made me sob.
- By the way... that kid that plays Gavroche? Are we sure he's just a kid? Because he was WAY too mature!
Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway were AMAZING. Seriously! Eddie Redmayne surprised me. I didn't know he could sing! Russel Crowe and Amanda Seyfried were ok.... But I wish there was a bigger part for Aaron Tveit. I heart him!
Watching this today, I decided that if there were to be a remake a My Fair Lady, Anne Hathaway should play Eliza Doolittle. Who is with me?